Hi! I’m Dawn. Despite the blog name, no one actually calls me “Dawn Nicole”. I’m a 30-something proud Air Force wife and mom of three kids (ages 2, 4 and almost 6). In my pre-moving-all-the-time-military-spouse-life, I was a HR Manager in the Hospitality field. In an effort to have a more moving-friendly career, I recently finished schooling for Graphic Design and Branding. I am now working on growing my career as a freelance designer over at Creative Type Designs.
While I’m a big believer in being active, clean eating and teaching my kids about the importance of keeping healthy habits, I believe in enjoying almost anything in moderation. I have a lot of interests (cooking, writing, sewing, crafting, fitness…and the list goes on) so you’ll find a bit of everything on my blog!
I hear people get the common misconception that DIY bloggers lives are “perfect” so here’s the real-life deal…
What you see in a pretty blog picture is often surrounded by dust and piles of crap if I zoom out. I spot clean to get a good shot. A good camera is not in the budget and all blog pics for the past few months have been taken with my iPhone. We don’t get out much so I rarely get dressed or put on makeup. I live in yoga pants (cliché as it may be). I can’t remember the last time I mopped the floor. After popping out 3 babies in 5 years, I came home from the hospital unhappily weighing 215 lbs. I’ve lost 55 pounds and counting in the past two years and I’m almost at my goal…so I try to eat clean and workout most days but I almost never let a day go by without dark chocolate and over-caffinating. I’m a work in progress.
A few random facts about me:
- I’m not a morning or night person, but I can rock mid-day like nobody’s business.
- I am neurotically punctual. I am always, always, always on time or early. Being late makes me very anxious.
- I’m a major introvert, a homebody and completely content to hang out by myself. Like I might be a borderline hermit.
- I love school. I have a BA in English, an MBA in HR Management and an Advanced Certificate in Graphic Design and Branding.
- I started running a few years ago and I’ve done quite a few 5Ks, an 8K and completed my first half marathon in May of 2013. I’m also did the complete Insanity program and am now working on the PiYo program.
- I love moving every few years like we do. There are downsides for sure but overall, I love the opportunity to experience so many different places. Charleston, SC is still my favorite place we’ve lived and we want to retire there.
- I hate when people lack common courtesy or aren’t nice. It’s not that hard to be kind!
- I have 6 tattoos. (Skipping class in college to get a tattoo? Or two? Guilty.)
- I swore I’d NEVER drive a minivan. But I do. And I love it.
- I had my first magazine feature this year!